Saturday, March 30, 2013

Chicken and Rice Soup (Freezer Friendly)

One of the reasons I love cooking is that it is creative and flexible.  This recipe varies a little in taste each time I make it but it is consistently delicious. I will throw in any vegetable I feel like or need to use up.  Also the taste varies if I use some homemade stock in addition to bullion or all bullion or how much of each spice I use.  So don't worry... feel free to make any substitutions or halve the recipe on a night when you want a super quick dinner. I love to use cauliflower because it becomes a hidden vegetable that my husband and child can't detect, but provides extra fiber and vitamins.

Chicken and Rice Soup :Makes 2-3 Quarts- Freeze leftovers

Ingredients:
 3-5 Carrots
1 Head of Cauliflower
1 Medium to Large Onion
 Diced Garlic
1 Quart Homemade Stock
1-2 Quarts Water and Better than Bullion or Chicken Bullion
 Cooked Brown Rice (4-6 cups cooked)
1 or 2 cans cooked Chicken Breast
Seasonings (Listed Below)

I steam my brown rice in my rice cooker and then get my broth boiling and dice up my carrots, onions, garlic, and cauliflower (cauliflower is crumbly so i let it be diced small like rice).  I throw those into the broth and let them cook and soften.  I then put in my seasonings : I just eye ball it but I use: Rosemary, Thyme, Celery Seed, Marjoram, Pepper, Oregano, Parsley, and a dash of cloves. I let that meld together for 10-15 minutes and then dump in the whole can of chicken, liquid included, I stir it around and break up the chicken chunks into bite size pieces let it boil a few minutes longer, check my seasonings and when everything seems cooked about right I stir in my cooked brown rice very last, and check if it needs more salt or pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment